After working her way from apprentice to Executive Chef in the Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm Restaurants in Tasmania, Lisa Mahar, Executive Chef at Mt Mulligan Lodge, headed north to Noosa six years ago to chase the sun and cultivate new inspiration and ideas. After not long she found herself working alongside Executive Chef Paul Leete at Sails, one of Noosa’s most iconic waterfront restaurants. As she gained incredible experience and knowledge through her time at Sails, Lisa then found herself presented with numerous options. She moved to Makepeace Island in Noosa and since has had no shortage of creative influence cooking alongside chefs including Sat Bains, George Calombaris, Matt Stone, Jo Barrett, David Pugh, Travis McAuley and Alastair McLeod, to name a few.
Lisa spent years 2016-2020 working for owners Richard Branson, Brett Godfrey and Radek Sali on Makepeace Island. Aside from all this incredible experience, Lisa is most passionate about working with local, whole, ethically produced and organic foods. So true to her passion for sustainable food sourcing, Lisa joined Noosa’s Slow Food Movement in 2018 with the intention to further contribute creating awareness of the connection between our food, farmers and moreover our land and our individual wellbeing.
Lisa is most inspired by:
- Local suppliers, gardeners, farmers; I love their passion for their products and it inspires me to learn more about and be connected to the ingredients I use
- I grew up cooking; my Pop used to take me with him to collect the eggs, honey and veggies from his farm and my Nan would cook them into tasty delights. My mum is a whizz in the kitchen also.
- My wife encourages and continues to inspire my passion about health, wholefoods, whole beast, ethical, locally grown, environmental impacts
- Jamie Oliver and his dedication to using quality sustainable produce and food that is achievable for everybody to create and enjoy
- Closer to home Chef Matt Stone and Chef Jo Barret from Future Food System; they create a lot of their meals from the ground up, with a particular focus on sustainability and reducing environmental impact
Key highlights from experience as a chef include:
- Proud to be a part of Slow Food Noosa
- Cooking with Matt Stone, Jo Barret, Sat Bains, Travis McCaulis, Rueben and George Calombaris from the Press Club and Chef Alistair McCloud
- Cooking for Sir Richard Branson, Chris & Liam Hemsworth, Justin Bieber, the MasterChef’s judges and hosts, and the endless list of wonderful guests we welcome to Mt Mulligan Lodge
- I specialise and love meeting dietary challenges and choice of life diets as vegetarian/vegan.
We are so incredibly pleased that Lisa has joined our team at Mt Mulligan Lodge and are so eager to see where her knowledge, skills, and expertise takes us. We’re predicting a culinary outback experience like no other!